Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Sausage and Lentil Soup

Picture to come...I have got to find the dang cord to the camera!


Yes!! I actually managed to cook something! Amazing isn't it?
Truthfully I've made this soup once before. And typically it didn't turn out exacttly the same.
Not really surprising because I have a habit of not exactly following the recipe... exactly.....I try..really...but somehow it never works out.
But in both cases, the soup was good. Today's soup needed a little adjusting. I like more "soupiness" and less "stew" so I added more broth and more spices.
I also like my food spicy. The recipe below is a combination of 2 different recipes but is a basic recipe.
(Today soup, Tomorrow..???? Who knows??!!)


Sausage and Lentil Soup
Ingredients
1 lb Italian sausage (You can also use Italian turkey sausage)
(I used 1/2 sweet italian sausage and 1/2 chirizo_just cause it was there. But I think spicy sausage is better.)

1 large onion, chopped
6 cups chicken broth (I used about 2 cups more)

2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained (I used 4 cans and with spices)
2-3 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon salt (oh please! as if that was enough)
2 cups dry lentils
1 bay leaf
black pepper
basil
oregano
parsley
thyme
garlic powder (always!)
(basically I use whichever spices appeal to me at the time)

Directions
1)Brown sausage; drain off fat (ummm..sometimes I drain but a little fat adds flavor...that's my story and I'm sticking to it!).
2)In a large pot combine all ingredients bring to boil.
3)Reduce heat,cover.
4)Simmer for about 1 hour or until lentils are tender. I let mine cook at least 2 hours before trying it.
Add water if necessary (I did), for desired consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment