Welsh Rarebit also known as Welsh Rabbit (no it contains no rabbit) is essentially toasted bread covered with cheese with a few other things thrown in (otherwise it would be an open face cheese sandwich).
Here you have 4 similar recipes for Welsh Rarebit. Try them all and see which you like best.
* 4 tablespoons butter
* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
* 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 2 cups milk
* 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
* 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- In a 2 quart saucepan over low heat, melt the butter.
- Stir in and blend the flour, salt, mustard and pepper.
- Stir in the milk and Worcestershire sauce.
- Continue stirring the mixture for 10 minutes, or until thickened.
- Stirring continuously, melt the cheese into the mixture and blend well.
- Serve immediately over warm toast.
I love this guy! He makes this recipe look super easy.
Another good vid.